Sunday, September 12, 2010

Salsaaa

I know you all must be on the edge of your seat, dying to know the outcome of my missing glasses. Squirm in anticipation no longer, they have been found! My house mom was very concerned when I mentioned I had lost them, and she found them for me-- they had fallen behind the counter in the bathroom while she was cleaning. Dilemma solved.

The engagement party last night was lots of fun. Good food, funny stories. And then afterwards, most of us went back to the house of one of the teachers from last year to "learn" salsa. Her fiance is Guatemalan. (Different engaged couple, by the way. I know, I know, its hard to keep track of all the engaged couples I'm friends with. What can I say?) So he was REALLY good and tried to teach us. Most everybody else had taken some kind of salsa lessons before and at the very least kinda knew what they were doing. I was definitely a novice, and a pretty terrible one at that. But it was loads of fun!! I'd definitely do it again.

As I mentioned, its Independence Week this week which is a HUGE deal. One of the attractions is a huge fair that lasts all week. A big group of us went to check it out today. We crammed into a micro and rode to the site. It was definitely a lot bigger than what I was expecting. They were selling pretty much everything you could possibly imagine...and more. Clothes, shoes, electronics, toys, crafts, movies and music, candy, and on and on and on. There were rides too. I rode something called the Twister which took you in circles high in the air and kinda fast. It was pretty fun-- probably not the safest thing in the world, but what fair rides are? And we were in the mountains so it was a pretty sweet view as we were flying through the air.

The food was amazing too! We had lunch at a Mexican food stand--- soooo good. And then a little later we got liquados, which are like smoothies. Usually made from fresh fruit. Although one of the teachers from last year swore by this peanut and chocolate smoothie, which sounded wierd to me at first and then I tried it. Heaven.

Strangest thing at the fair... probably watching a girl walk past us with a basket on top of her head containing three live turkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment