Monday, February 7, 2011

Things I miss...

So last night was the Super Bowl.  My host mom didn't know what it was so the only way I could think to explain it was that it was kind of like the World Cup...but for American Football, and once a year.  To compare the Super Bowl to the World Cup is blasphemy to all the soccer lovers, I know.  I'm sorry.
A bunch of the teachers gathered to watch it--  I was glad we got to see it.  Although the commercials were sorely missed.  And it was a sad ending for me.  But there's always next year.

I've also been pretty sick since being back from the retreat.  A lot of the teachers are sick at the moment.  As I was walking home today feeling pretty miserable I thought to myself how I probably would take a sick day if I was in the States in a regular school.  But not here.  Too much work.

Also today I was thinking about somethings I miss from home.  I've talked a lot about all that I've gained from this experience and the things that I love.  But today I thought I'd dedicate a little time to some things I miss.  And of course I miss family and friends, but this list is of those obscure things that you might not normally think of.  In no particular order...
I miss...
1) My puppies.  Okay, this probably is number one.  I miss those little stinkers so much.
2) Food Network.  I basically never watch television here, and I don't particularly miss it either.  Except for the Food Network.  That I miss.
3) Going to Dave Barnes shows. 
4) Sushi.  Strangely.  I didn't really eat sushi on a regular basis in the States, but for some reason I CRAVE it here, like a crazy person.
5) Being able to walk alone at night and feel safe.
6) A church community.

No comments:

Post a Comment