Friday, August 5, 2011

Adjusting

Week one is the craziest.  I thought it would be a ton easier this year, since I knew what I was getting into.  And it is easier, just not much.  So much to do, and so little time.   I know it will all come together, but right now my brain is fried.   However, I did get referred to by the director as the "Bulletin Board Queen" during one of our orientation meetings.  That made me laugh.  I do enjoy making bulletin boards.
But today we sat in a 4 hour orientation meeting via skype with some woman in Spain who was trying to teach us about the new grade program...
My classroom is coming along, but it currently looks like a tornado blew through. 

In other news, being back in Guatemala is great.  Although things stand out a little more after being in the States for 2 months.  Example 1:  I think some of the fumes I inhale on the street from cars/buses/etc are probably taking 5 years off my life.  Example 2:  It is LOUD here.  Almost all the time.  Currently a marching band is playing on my street.  Example 3:  The apartment I'm currently living in has been referred to by fellow teachers as having some of the best showers in Guatemala.  But coming from the States, eh, not so much.   Lots of other similar things, all of which I knew before hand, but just seem more exaggerated at the moment.

I am getting to know some of the new teachers, and I really like the dynamic of the staff.  From what I can tell this early on, I think its going to be a great year.  I'm pretty excited about it. 

Not a whole lot else to update on at this point.  Literally I have spent the entire time in my classroom.  I'll put pics up when it is finished. 

Life at the apartment is quiet, but okay.  The first night I made myself beans and eggs, just because :)   And I also packed my first lunch, the night before, I may add.  Which may be surprising to some of you...
And on that realm, of my procrastination tendencies... a quick story that I thought a bit funny.    Last year I would always wake up late and scurry out the door of my homestay without having time to eat breakfast.  My host mom picked up on that and started making me portable breakfasts that I could grab on the run.  She would always tease me that she always had to tell me to run or I was going to miss the bus.  And apparently that reputation has continued.  A new teacher is staying in my old homestay, and my host mom told her all about my tendency to be in hurry in the mornings.  This morning the girl had a little baggie of cinnamon rolls just for me from my old host mom.  I thought it was really sweet of her, but joked that she probably did it because she thinks I won't eat breakfast unless it is handed to me as I'm running out the door. 

Well, off to get pizza with the other teachers!  It's our first real hang out as a new staff outside of school. And I think we are all ready for a break! 

No comments:

Post a Comment