This week has been long. Probably because last week was a half week followed by vacation. Its always a little bit of a challenge to return after a vacation.
But the time off was wonderful! I went to Guatemala City with friends who also happen to be a married couple. The husband is Guatemalan and so they know there way around. It was nice to be able to go to the city in a car and at our own pace as opposed to a giant bus. Also, I usually hate the city because it has a dangerous feel and you have to take taxis wherever you go. But having a car to get around and being with people who know their way around was better.
When we got there we went to a giant mall that I have been to before. It is just like a fancy mall in the states. My friend and I went and got pedicures while drinking iced coffees which was definitely a treat. Afterwards we went to the movie theater. I had been to that theater before but this time we payed a little extra to go to the VIP part of the theater. It was the equivalent of $10, which is what you would pay for a movie in the States BUT soo much better. Comfy reclining seats which were spaced out. AND you can order specialty food to be delivered to you. I got sushi. I always crave it and you can only really get it in the city.
For dinner they took me to an amazing resturaunt a little out of the city. It was very fancy, but had a spectacular view overlooking the city. And the food was delicious!! It was all about grilled meat and vegetables. I cannot tell you how great it was. I literally savored every bite.
Going to the city is all about treating yourselves to the things you can't get in Xela. And that's exactly what this trip was. It kind of makes you feel like you are home. We also went to Price Mart and another grocery store that carries a lot of American items. My prized finds were canned pumpkin (excited to make fun fall baked goods), a jumbo bag of craisins, and a jumbo bag of ghiradelli chocolate chips.
This whole trip was extravagant. But so fun. And I figure it is okay to splurge every once in a while.
We got back Saturday afternoon and I headed off with another group to visit the fair (only about a 15 minute bus ride away). Last year I didn't eat much fair food, for fear of getting sick. But I decided to take the risk this time because everyone says it is so good. I tried the garnachas, which everyone jokes are made of street dog meat. But they were delicious. And I also tried churros. I didn't ride any of the sketchy rides this year, but did enjoy watching them. They really are sketchy.
Pictures to come! Too tired to upload any at the moment. Think I'm heading for a nap!
No comments:
Post a Comment