Monday, August 2, 2010

Arrival

So I'm here! My brain does not really want to blog right now, but so much is happening so quickly that I feel like I need to update and get it all out. Otherwise I'll be way behind!

Where to begin... So much to say, I might have to break it up into a few different posts.

The flight was easy. A little weird traveling alone, but it was fine. I arrived in Guatemala and the Director and Principal were waiting. Turns out I had flown in on the same flight with four other teachers but didn't even know it!
We then drove to Xela. I have no idea how long the drive was-- several hours I think. We stopped for lunch along the way--my first official meal here was Burger King. Pretty sad.

We drove the rest of the way in the dark, rain, and intense fog. It was slightly scary, but I've experienced crazier driving situations :)

I was the first to be dropped off at my host home, and was pleasantly surprised at what was waiting for me. The house is a lot bigger than I was expecting, and the family seems very nice. Plus, they have two dogs which is GREAT. There is another girl here from France, Juliet, and she has been extremely helpful. It was just comforting to not be all by myself. She speaks English and has helped me communicate, as my Spanish is still limited. I think she was pretty lonely-- she's been here in the city all by herself for several weeks. So she has been very friendly and told me a lot about her experiences and wants to help show me around.
My room is pretty small right now, but I will be moving into Juliet's much bigger room when she leaves in a few weeks.
I had a freezing shower this morning, but I've gotten some tips about how to make it warmer. I'll be experimenting tomorrow!

Okay, I'll leave it at that for now. So much more to say about the city, the school, the people---everything! But I'm still processing a lot of it. Just wanted to let everyone know that I arrived safely and am enjoying the experience so far. Expect updates and photos soon :)

1 comment: