Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Life goes on.

Getting back into the swing of things has been tough.  I've been back to school for 2 days and it feels like a week.  I'm exhausted. 
My kids, love 'em to death, but they have been driving me up a wall.  I do have to say, I came back to a mailbox full of sweet letters from them and lots of hugs.  But they had forgotten every single rule and procedure I've worked so hard to burn into their brains all year.  I really just wanted to come back and love on them.  Instead, I've been spending the week laying down the law.  Not fun. 
And I feel like a bit of a failure in some regards, because even though I was complimented on the fact of how much of an impact my presence makes on the behavior of my class, I still feel like the mark of a great teacher is that her class upholds the same expectations when the teacher isn't there.  I've worked hard to maintain consistency in my classroom the best I could this year, because I really do think young kids especially thrive off of consistency.  But at the same time, I wonder if it breeds anxiety and lack of ability in responding to change.  My kids lost it when their routine was modified.  Behavior-wise and in other areas.  One poor girl burst into tears when the substitute didn't do the spelling test the way "Miss Tusing always does it."  Oops.  Had to have a discussion with them when I got back about change and how we just need to go with the flow sometimes.  Currently trying to figure out how to maintain an atmosphere of consistency without breeding children that turn into adults who fear change. 

And a week is a long time to make up for.  It doesn't help that I'm spending this week trying to get things back to "normal", when its anything but a normal week.  It is spiritual emphasis week, which is basically like VBS for the school.  So the kids are high energy anyway.  And we have activities in the morning and teacher led activities in the afternoon, so there is basically a 3 hour window of regular instruction time in the middle of that, and its pretty insane.  As I mentioned, I'm exhausted.  But it has been fun seeing the whole school united in worship and just together. 
My favorite was the all-school morning activity this morning.  We were all outside-- everyone from the Pre-K class to the seniors in high school.  And the leader decided to lead everybody in dancing.  Fun dance moves like "the sprinkler" and hula and various other ways to boogey down.  It was hilarious to witness. 
In other exciting news... I officially signed my contract to return for a second year!  I had been thinking about it for a while and truly thinking through what would be best.  As scary as it is to commit to a second year, I am excited and look forward to see what lays ahead.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment