In teaching this year I have spent most of my time with my students. I pour just about everything I have into them. And sometimes I make the comment that I feel almost like they are my own children.
But in all actuality, they aren't. They have parents. And working with parents is a part of my job. I've seen some interesting things-- some family situations that make me really sad and other parents that are incredibly supportive.
But today I got to see a little bit deeper into one parent, past the general concerns. This is the mom of one of the boys I have been having real behavior issues with. And I know I'm only a first year teacher, but I have really been working hard with this kid. Trying everything. Not only for my benefit and the benefit of the class, but because I do care about him and want to see him do well. And he is a good kid. But I'm telling you, it wears on you. Well, maybe not some people, but it certainly drains a lot of energy out of me.
Today after school I sent an e-mail to his mom, answering some of her questions and updating her on how things were going. I've talked with her several times and she seems to really be trying and really supportive. He has had behavior issues in previous schools as well. Well, I got a response to my e-mail a few hours later. And she thanked me for my help and at one point wrote,
"I don't want to lose hope and just give up. I am really trying my hardest to be the best I can be as a mother."
Boom. That puts things into perspective for ya just a bit. This is her son, who she loves. And to read that vulnerability, to read about the struggles she has, it just hits you. It encourages you to keep going.
I know nothing about being a mother.
I've been a teacher for 7 months. And from that experience, that short amount of time, I know what it feels like to care immensely for children. The joys of watching them succeed and grow. The frustrations of when they struggle or make poor choices. To feel the pressure of being responsible, in large part, for their growth intellectually, emotionally, socially-- and to want to lead them well.
But to have that child be your own flesh and blood. That you have been with since the moment they were born. I can only imagine.
And this woman is really trying. I can tell. And it was a huge encouragement to hear her mother's perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment