Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Big Mango Mess...

Today was one of those days where one thing after another goes wrong.  My biggest dilemma was probably the mango fiasco (which put into perspective of the things that go on in this world, is not even a blip on the radar.  But it did put a kink in my day)
Today we had a staff meeting.  Every staff meeting, three teachers are assigned snack duty.  Today was my turn.   And I had it in my head that I wanted to do something special since it was the last one of the year.  And I am also a slight perfectionist when it comes to things like that.   So I had totally forgotten about snack duty until a few days before and was at a loss for what to make.  I usually enjoy cooking, but haven't gotten to do much here, as I don't have my own kitchen.
I went home a few nights ago and asked my host mom if she had ideas for what I could make.  She's a good cook.  She suggested a mango "pie" which she had made before.  Its served cold, and is not really like a pie in the states, but it was good.  And she said she would help me.   I wrote about our adventures shopping for the ingredients in the last post.
So we made a plan that we would work together to make it yesterday after school.  She pulled out the biggest mold she had, which was HUGE.  Like probably a 24 inch circle.   And we went to work peeling mangos.  And cutting all the flesh away from the pit.  Which is not an easy job because mangos are slippery.
Then we pureed the mangos and put them through some kind of sive to get rid of the stringy pulp.  Then we cooked it in a giant pot with sugar and cinnamon and a little water.  Stirring and stirring and stirring until it came to a boil.  Which felt like an hour because it was such a huge pot of mango.  Then we added the gelatin, let it cool, and put it into the pan with the Guatemalan version of a graham cracker crust.  Put it in the fridge and hoped for the best.   It was quite fun cooking again and bonding with my host mom in the kitchen.
This morning I woke up early and toted the cold, enormous pie to the bus stop.  With instructions to put it in the refrigerator as soon as I got to school. 
I get to school.  And I clear a shelf in the fridge and insert the pie.  Close the door, and it won't shut.  The pan is too big for the refrigerator.  After a bunch of manipulation and attempts, I come to the conclusion that its not going to fit.  To which my friends all tell me, it'll be fine sitting on top of the refrigerator all day.  I don't think so, but what other choice do I have. 
Moment of truth,  3:30.  Time for the staff meeting. I cut into the pie and immediately realize it has melted.  It is now mango soup on top of crust.  Literally.  No exaggeration.  I'm horrified.  Totally embarassed.  Mango pie is more like a slice of humble pie for me.  Everyone graciously takes some (scooping it out with a ladle-- no lie) saying they are sure it will taste good.  It was bad.   I mean, it tasted like mango and had a good flavor.  But literally looked like a pile of orange snot on people's plates. 
I shamefully take the leftovers home and have to explain what happened to my host mom.  I tell her about not being able to put it in the refrigerator.  She just says "No, Megan, no" and has huge eyes once again.  Then I pull back the aluminum foil to a gasp of horror. 
So, it was fail.  But I put it in the fridge when I got home and just had some for dessert.  And its back to normal and yummy again.  Oops. 

1 comment:

  1. Oops. :(
    At least it was revived back at home right?

    ReplyDelete